I rate books on a basic 5-star system:
1/5 stars: I finished the book and didn’t like it.
2/5 stars: I didn’t like the book but was able to find some redeeming qualities.
3/5 stars: I thought the book was okay.
4/5 stars: I enjoyed this book but found some aspects to be problematic.
5/5 stars: I have next to nothing negative to say about this book.
What do I pay attention to while reading a book? Here are the basics:
- Premise – Is the concept of the book intriguing to me?
- Plot Development – Does it follow a formula or does it seem original to me?
- Characterization – I look for the development of main characters and well as supporting characters. Are they flat or well developed?
- Writing Style – Is the writing easy to follow or difficult to understand?
- Readability – Is the language used appropriate for the audience? (This is more important for Children’s/Young Adult)
If you have any questions about my system, feel free to ask!