Hello, fellow book lovers! It’s time to share with you all the books I’ve read in the month of August!
In my July wrap-up, I talked a bit about my reading slump. I’m still kind of in a reading slump, but I’m getting out of it slowly. Last month, I participated in some read-a-thons and completed 12 books. I thought I was in a slump? What?
This month, I completed a total of 5 books, less than half the amount I achieved in July.
First, let’s talk about the book that didn’t cut it for me.
That’s right, everyone. This book was a huge disappointment for me. Coming off of the excitement I was feeling after finishing Crown of Midnight, I ran to the library and picked up Heir of Fire as soon as I could! I was so excited for this book. So much happened in the second book and I thought it could only get better from there. I was wrong.
I started this book on July 12 and finished it on August 18. I almost didn’t want to finish it. For me, this book was so slow and drawn out. Some new characters are introduced and I had a hard time connecting with them. I did not like Rowan for spoilery reasons I won’t go into here and I felt that there was too much time in between Manon chapters for me to fully grasp what was going on. I had to keep flipping back and forth between Manon chapters because I forgot who people were in relation to Manon.
I completely understand that Maas had to find a way to set up a whole bunch of events for the next book, but because of that, this book felt too forced for me. I rated it 2/5 stars. Sad day, batman. I’ll probably continue with the series, but I’m not exactly chomping at the bit for Queen of Shadows.
Now that this unfortunate event is out of the way, onto the books that I enjoyed!
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart – I rated this one 4/5 stars, even though I had some trouble connecting with the characters. I read this book in basically one sitting and I read it for my relaxed version of BookTube-A-Thon.
- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling – 5/5 stars – I reread this for the #BackToHogwarts15 read-along!
- You’re Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) by Felicia Day – I rated this 5/5 stars. I am a long time fan of Felicia Day and I enjoyed her memoir immensely.
- Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – 5/5 stars, no doubt! I inhaled this book. I already want to reread it.
Right now, I am currently finishing up Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I did not make the deadline for the #BackToHogwarts15 read-along, but that’s okay. I’m really enjoying this reread of the series.
I’m not sure what to read next, so it’s now time for…
For this round of audience participation, it would be really helpful to me if you could vote in the comment section below for one (or more) of the following books:
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon – It’s listed on my Goodreads as currently reading but I haven’t touched it since I visited my college two weeks ago.
- Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- The Martian by Andy Weir
- Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
- Progeny of Gods: Vertuem Destiny by Geoffrey Storm
What do you think, readers? Which book should I pick up next? Thanks in advance for your help. You guys are seriously the best.
See you soon!
Find me on:
Want to purchase any of the books that I’ve talked about? Use this link to buy books from the Book Depository and help me out!